San José, August 20, 2018
The U.S. Embassy has received information about a possible immigration protest today at 4:00 PM in downtown San Jose in the areas of Parque La Merced, Central Park, Plaza de la Democracia, and/or Parque Nacional. The Embassy encourages U.S. citizens to monitor local media for updates.
The majority of protests in Costa Rica are non-violent in nature. However, even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations
For further information:
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Call us in Washington at 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444 from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. Federal holidays).
- See the State Department’s travel website for Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, and Travel Alerts.
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
- See traveling safely abroad for useful travel tips.