Travel Advisory – U.S. Embassy San Jose
January 13, 2020
Location: Costa Rica
Event: Level 2 Travel Advisory: Exercise Increased Caution
Country Summary: While petty crime is the predominant threat for tourists in Costa Rica, violent crime, including armed robbery, homicide and sexual assault, occurs in Costa Rica. The Costa Rican government provides additional security resources in areas frequented by tourists.
Read the Safety and Security section on the country information page.
If you decide to travel to Costa Rica:
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.
- Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive watches or jewelry.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive Alerts and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- U.S. citizens should always exercise caution when traveling abroad
- Follow the Department of State on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Review the Crime and Safety Reportfor Costa Rica.
- Prepare a contingency plan for emergency situations. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
State Department – Consular Affairs : 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive security updates.