Emergency Financial Assistance

In assisting indigent U.S. citizens, the consular officer acts as an intermediary to help the citizen locate a private source of funds (family members, friends, employers, etc.) and to show how the funds may be transferred to Costa Rica.

Consular officer have no funds available for welfare services. Congress does not provide funds to give or loan to U.S. citizens except in limited cases where the U.S. citizen agrees to be repatriated to the U.S. and signs a promissory note agreeing to repay the U.S. Government loan.

The Consular section can assist U.S. citizens who are temporarily destitute abroad due to robbery or other unforeseen circumstances. If you find yourself in this situation, please contact us at: (506) 2519-2000 or acssanjose@state.gov.