Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions


Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following lists. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

There are a number of websites, including the official website the Costa Rican Tourism Institute, and the Embassy of Costa Rica.


Dual U.S./Costa Rican citizens are required by Costa Rican authorities to comply with entry and exit laws that pertain to Costa Rican citizens. This means that even U.S. citizen minors who are also Costa Rican citizens, and who might normally travel on U.S. passports, will be required to comply with entry /exit requirements applicable to Costa Rican children.

American parents of minors who may have obtained Costa Rican citizenship through birth in Costa Rica or to a Costa Rican parent should be aware that these children may only depart Costa Rica upon presentation of an exit permit issued by the Costa Rican immigration office. Parents of dual citizen children are advised to consult with the Costa Rican Embassy or Consulate in the U.S. about entry and exit requirements before travel to Costa Rica.

Additional information on entry and exit requirements may be obtained from the Embassy of Costa Rica.

Costa Rican law permits U.S. citizens to get married here.  A lawyer can perform the required legal ceremony (see our list of attorneys – Pdf -248Kb)