Applying for the Social Security Card

Applying for Social Security Card:

You may apply for an original or replacement Social Security Card at the Federal Benefits Unit.

For all services, you will need to schedule an appointment. To schedule an appointment or to obtain information, the best way to contact the Federal Benefits Unit is by using our online form

Who is eligible for a Social Security Card? U.S. Citizens and non-citizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security can apply for a Social Security number

Read more aboout What documents will you need at the time of application at: Learn What Documents You Need To Get A Social Security Card

Read more about Non-Citizen requirements at: Social Security for nonuscitizens (PDF 191 KB)

U.S. Citizen Children Born in Costa Rica

Children born in Costa Rica and documented as U.S. citizens through the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (“CRBA”) process must apply for a Social Security Card.  They may apply for the card after completing the CRBA process and obtaining a U.S. passport. At the time of application, you will need the CRBA, U.S. Passport, and Costa Rican Birth certificate (en forma literal) for the child, as well as valid identification for the parent (either U.S. passport or Costa Rican Cedula).

Non-Resident Aliens / Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN)

Several classes of non-resident aliens are required to obtain an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) in order to file U.S. taxes.  To obtain an ITIN, you must file IRS Form W-7 with the Internal Revenue Service.  You may obtain a W-7 form from the Consular Section’s U.S. Citizens Services (ACS) Unit or via the Internet at W-7 form (PDF – 263 Kb).