Boarding Foil Applications
Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) are required to present a valid Form I-551, Permanent Resident Card (also known as a “green card”) when seeking admission into the United States.
In cases in which the LPR is not in possession of a valid Form I-551, the U.S. Consular Sections overseas can issue “boarding foils” to qualified Lawful Permanent Residents applying to replace lost/stolen cards overseas. You must apply for a boarding foil within (12) months after departing the United States.
Additionally, please note that the validity of a boarding foil is only valid for thirty (30) days from the date of issuance.
How to apply for a bording foil?
In order to apply for a boarding foil, you require an appointment. See the steps below to schedule an appointment:
STEP 1. Gather he following documents:
- Valid passport
- Fill out the Form I-131A, Application for Travel Document. This form can be obtained at https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a
- Pay the $575 I-131A fee online and print the receipt. The information for the payment is available at https://www.uscis.gov/i-131a Please note that this fee is nonrefundable.
- Photocopy of your LPR card (if available) or proof of you legal permanent resident status such as copy of notices received from USCIS, stamps in the passport, etc.
- Alien Registration number (A number), if known.
- Other identifiable documents, for example: driver’s license, State I.D., etc.
- General Report from the Police.
- Proof of your arrival in Costa Rica (ticket, boarding pass, luggage tags, etc.).
- For bearers of conditional legal permanent resident cards that are expired (CR1, CR2, CR6, CF1, among others), please provide the proof that you filed the I-751, Petition to Remove Condition of Residence, application with USCIS.
- Copy of the passport biographic information, as well as the entry stamps to CR and last entry stamp to the US.
STEP 2. Scan all the documents listed above and e-mail them to: firstname.lastname@example.org
STEP 3. Once the documents have been received by the Consular Section, you will receive an e-mail with the information on your appointment date.